Monday, 7 January 2008

Feeling relaxed

Things are getting back to normal here in the Gregory house. Steve is back at work, Mum has gone back to Christchurch and I am feeling a lot better. I still have a nagging cough but I don't feel unwell, YAY.

Steve and Tobyn went to the lake house last Thursday. I wasn't going to go but on Friday decided I would. It is hard being on your own while sick and with a sick 2 year old. Isaac had a virus and would cough and cough until he was sick. So I was going through lots of bedding and having to wash special blankies and floppy bunnies so he had his faves to take to bed still. Anyway I am so glad I made the decision to go the the Lake house! It was so relaxing and such a fun time. Steve's sister was there with her 2, Hannah almost 6 and Adam 4. The children got on so well. There were very few disagreements and there was a huge amount of fun had. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so there aren't any photos.

The sleeping arrangements worked out really well. Steve's parents were in the flat. We had one room and Clare had the other. The children slept in the cupboards which they thought was so cool and Tobyn said he felt like Harry Potter. The cupboards are HUGE wardrobes. The double doors were opened wide and it really looked like they were just extensions to the room.

The day I arrived they had all been out on the kayak and swum in the lake. Tobyn enjoyed swimming out to the pontoon and jumping off. I arrived just in time for a lovely bbq dinner, perfect! Saturday we went to craters of the moon and had a good walk. We even did the steep climb to the lookout which absolutely tuckered me out. Considering that I am still getting over pneumonia it wasn't surprising that I needed a sleep on Sat afternoon. After Isaac and I had had our afternoon nap we went down to the lake and swam. It was freezing but so refreshing once you were under the water! Isaac was quite apprehensive, he came in with me for a minute but wanted out quite quickly. On Sunday we took the kayak down to the lake. It was the first time that I had seen Tobyn go out by himself and he did so well. I am so glad we have got the kayak and that Tobyn and Isaac are going to grow up with many trips to the lake and enjoying this great water sport. I had a go in the kayak and have the great pleasure to have the title of 'First person to tip out'! Unlike my children I didn't grow up around water or water sports. I was not an outdoors person and my family didn't go on holidays! So I am learning with my children and it is fun.

After a lovely lunch at the cafe down the road we headed home. We made pretty good time and arrived home at 5pm. We had a quick gathering of ourselves and went to the McKeys for a bbq celebration of Ali and Fernando's engagement....without Ali and Fernando LOL. They live in Manchester, England. They got engaged at New Years and everyone here is so excited for them It sounds like the wedding is being planned for later in 2009, back in New Zealand. Congratulations Ali and Fernando!!! We spoke briefly last but it was difficult to hear with so many people around. Ali is Tobyns 'god sister' and I have known her and babysat her since she was 6. They are like family to us and we are so excited about the 1st engagement in their family! Even though she doesn't leave comments I am pretty sure she visits my blog regularly as I I have a regular visitor from Manchester. See you can't hide I know who is watching, LOL. So please people leave me comments I love them!

Today we are having a very quiet day. Isaac went down for a sleep at 11am and at 2pm is still sleeping. Tobyn is having a DVD morning, which will end as soon as the movie he is watching finishes. I think we will go for a walk when Isaac wakes up.

I haven't done much in the way of scrapping for ages. I finished Mums calendar but I am dying to get down to some scrapping for myself again, maybe tomorrow when Isaac is sleeping....hmm or maybe tonight? I see some challenges around the place so maybe I will have a go at some of those.

Well ciao for now, next post I promise some more photos!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have certainly been enjoying the holidays. I'm glad you are feeling better, and hopefully the last lingering cough clears up quickly. The lake house sounds wonderful and I bet the boys will have very special memories of going there each summer.

Anonymous said...

Great to hear you're on the mend and hopefully full recovery for both you and Isaac will be speedy. I just love hearing about your lake house, it sounds like such a special place! And how cool is that to sleep in big wardrobes! The stuff of great memories indeed!

Angela said...

How neat to have a place like the lake house to have in your family, special times to remember. I did have to read twice when you said the kids slept in the cupboards, sounds like a huge adventure! Hope you get rid of the last of your bugs, and enjoy the rest of the holidays.

Jenny said...

Sounds like the break is just what you needed